Mali Health Organizing Project
|For the Summer of 2009:
We accept interns in three programs (health outreach, clinic management, microfinance) according to need. Our interns are our partners, and they have a great deal of responsibility for our projects. Ideally, MHOP will become as much your “baby” as it is ours. We accept anywhere between 1 and 4 onsite interns at a time. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis except for summer applications, which are due January 1st.
HEALTH OUTREACH INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Organizing and designing peer education materials and systems.
• Implementing the trash disposal system with the CHAG and facilitating the purchase of necessary materials.
• Organizing radio-based announcements about the project and citizenship.
• Establishing an electronic medical records system (CS skills recommended).
CLINIC MANAGEMENT INTERNS RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Working with the regional health center and Malian interns researching equipment for the clinic.
• Training of clinic personnel and hiring of new staff.
• Auditing Systems.
• Helping the community mobilize labor and finances for the new clinic.
MICROFINANCE INTERNS RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Meeting regularly with the committee, and organizing trainings.
• Working on the microfinance center.
• Profiling loan recipients.
• Figuring out strategies for implicating marginalized populations.
• Preparing budgets, reports, and estimations for sustainability.
|Additional Skills Required:|
|• 3-month minimum time commitment. Longer stays are preferred.
• French proficiency: the equivalent of sixth semester of college-level French is required before departure. For the safety and comfort of the intern, as well as the good of the project, this is a non-negotiable term.
• Experience with organizing, health, international work, or initiating projects.
• Capable Word and Excel skills.
• Responsibility, adaptability, a strong stomach, and self-directedness
| Ongoing Project|
|Click here to Apply|