Tax Preparers for Free Tax Preparation Program
|NYCfNAC (www.nycfnac.org) is looking for volunteers to help administer our FREE tax preparation services to low income tax filers during the upcoming 2012 tax season (January to April 2012). All volunteers will be trained and placed at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites operated by community-based credit unions in East Harlem and the Lower East Side in Manhattan, and Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick in Brooklyn. In 2011, our VITA programs generated over $16 million in tax refunds for over 10,000 low-income households.
Tax Preparer Volunteers will be asked to:
• Work 4 to 8 hours per week during weekdays over a 13 week period from mid-January through April 17th;
• Complete a basic self-study course on-line by early January and receive a passing score on a test to receive IRS certification;
• Attend an in-person training session on tax law and TaxWise software in early January;
• Serve as a tax preparer at one of our VITA sites;
• Assist with outreach to clients and communities, when needed.
|Additional Skills Required:|
(Training and tax preparer certification will be provided by NYCfNAC and the IRS);
Proficiency with Windows and Office programs;
Dedication to working with low income communities;
Patience and flexibility.
Though the following skills aren't necessary, we are particularly looking for individuals with some prior tax preparation skills or an accounting background; and
Bilingual Spanish/ English skills.|
|VITA Sites in Brooklyn or Manhattan|
New York, New York 10009
| Ongoing Project|
|Click here to Apply|